Top 10 signs that your HR department is relevant
People outside of HR often think that the department’s role is simply to run the benefits program and hire and fire employees. If those areas are going well, then HR is doing its job. But a recent blog post by Liz Ryan for Bloomberg Businessweek outlines 10 clear goals for HR that go beyond record keeping and running programs.
1. Communicate a vision for the company.
2. Use the company’s image to build relationships with the talent pool, existing employees, customers and vendors.
3. Promote truthful communication, especially during difficult one-on-one communications.
4. Foster innovation.
5. Develop a pipeline of talent for future needs.
6. Embed HR ideals into each business unit so managers become more independent in dealing with workforce management.
7. Ensure regulations are followed, but don’t treat employees like children.
8. Encourage collaboration.
9. Ask for regular feedback from your team outside the performance appraisal.
10. Foster a culture of trust, rather than fear.
Do you think these are realistic expectations? Can any one HR department incorporate all of these goals?